Friday, April 27, 2007

Shane's Wish

One of my friends told me a really touching story, and it inspired me, so now I am going to tell y'all about it!

Anyway, here it is. There is a boy in Ottawa, CA, named Shane Bernier. He is going to turn 8 on May 30th. He is suffering from acute lymphoblastic leukemia and is currently in treatment.

The reason I am telling you about this little boy is that his wish is to break the world record for the most birthday cards received. There was a world record for a former cancer patient who received 350,000,000 get well cards between his 8th and 22nd birthdays, but I guess Guiness is no longer documenting these types of awards (I guess the previous winner passed away, and now the family is distressed by the "get well" cards they continue to receive. Understandable, but it still stinks for this little boy!). Anyway, regardless of the fact that this little boy Shane will not get recognition in the Guiness Book of World Records, I thought it would be nice to send him a card.

So, my students are all making him cards. His first language is French (and the only language he can read), so if you know French, that's the best. Otherwise, apparently his mother (who is a single mom) and his grandfather read him his cards that are in English.

I could write a ton here, but I am going to spare you that. If you want to know more, you can go to www.shaneswish.com, or type his name "Shane Bernier" in google.


There is an address on the website that you can send your cards to. And make sure to tell your friends!

Here's a facebook group dedicated to the cause:

http://wisc.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2230729944

One more thing - I guess he really likes Spiderman, and cards with pop-up features. Just a suggestion!

Have a sparkly day!

No comments: