Thursday, January 25, 2007

Danny Glover: The Legend

After I posted last night's blog about birthday celebrations and whatnot, I realized that I never even explained where that came from. So that is to follow.

Last night, the game went well. It was a reality check for me, though... I had to sit in the nosebleed seats. I have been spoiled all season with Ousmane's family section seats. They are such a benefit... They are free. They are excellent seats (about center court, rows C-E usually). You can hear Crean yelling at the team. It's just spectacular. Well, since Ousmane's host family came to visit and see him play (can't be mad at that), my glorious date (my grandpa) and I watched the game from outer space. I can't really complain, though. I had a lot of fun spending time with my grandpa, and it was interesting to see the game from that perspective. It's a lot easier to see the plays develop and so forth.

Humorously enough, during the second half, I noticed that there was a sound they were playing when spectacular things happened, such as when Ous dunked, or got exciting rebounds... I was convinced that it was the sound of a vulture call. I could swear it was! I was so curious if there was something that Ous wasn't telling me... So, after the game, I asked him about it over an Eskimo Pie (haha, we celebrated!). He told me at first that he did not know what I was talking about. Then, when I mimicked the sound (which was more or less the epitome of brutality), he informed me that that was actually an eagle cry that I was hearing. Hell0!? Had I forgotten that they were the Marquette Golden Eagles? Perhaps I still thought they were Marquette: The Gold. (See video below that cracks me up, if I can figure out how to post it!!!!)
Anyway, I informed Ous that I consider all winged creatures vultures, including (but not limited to) moths (but excepting angels, I guess), and that was the end of the discussion.

The Eskimo Pie Day celebration was pretty laid back. Danielle, Ous, and I pretty much hung out and talked about random stuff and ate Eskimo Pies. Perfect.

So today is Opposite Day. I am at work, on my lunch break, wearing pajamas. It is banking time day, which means that there are no students here, which is why I can pull off head to toe velour. Sweetness. I decided that instead of working here at school on Opposite Day, that I would write a blog explaining the origin of my celebration of D-List (although I am sure DG is at least B list) birthday celebration.
About this time last year, we got a new teacher at our school. LP. She and I bonded instantly when I told her that I was up in the 2-1-3 (that is my classroom number). We've been very good friends ever since. Hanging out with her is trouble. I don't think I've ever made it through sober... Ok, maybe a few times. But absurdity often ensues.

There's a pic of us all at Buck Bradley's. We can scarcely go out to eat without ordering shots to our table. Anyway, we were all out one night ( a group of about 15 of us) when our friend Kenny (affectionately known as Dr. Kenneth Noisewater, or Ken, or just Noisewater for short) texted to say that his friends had rented out the third floor of a bar (the Y Not 3, for anyone familiar with the Mil and North Ave area) for a private party, and that we had to come.

So, we all went over there and sure enough, the private party was in full effect. There was a dj and everything. So I was getting my dance on for a good half hour or 45 minutes when I suddenly noticed that the eyes of Danny Glover were surrounding me. Everywhere you looked, there were pictures of Danny Glover. I asked Noisewater about it...

Me: Kenny, why are there so many pictures of Danny Glover all over the place?
Kenny (nonchalantly): It's his birthday. This is his birthday party.
Me: These people threw this party just because it is Danny Glover's birthday?
Ken: Yes.

Perfect. I was hooked. I thought it was brilliant. So much so, that I had to take a piece of the action home with me. I did this in two ways.
The first way was physical. I left the party with a 24"x36" headshot of Danny Glover.


He's folded in half, but you get the idea. Can you see the pride and excitement in my eyes and on my face? I'm sure you've seen him in pictures taken in my apartment, where he now resides in a nice wooden frame, in between Tupac and Snoop on the left, and Madonna on the right.

Just after that picture was taken, somewhere in the neighborhood of 330am, I called Danielle to let her know that she could rest easy (maybe that would be less difficult if I didn't drunk dial her in the middle of the night!) now that she is being made aware that I have a 4x5 (I meant feet, and was estimating) picture of Danny Glover to put on our mantle (we do not have a mantle). She thanked me for calling, and I drove back to Madison the next day... Framed him and hung him. When she got home, she was quite shocked to see that I was closer to feet... She thought I said "coaster" and not "poster." But, since Danielle is the lovely girl she is, she accepted Danny with open arms, and now our living room theme is celebrities.

The other thing I took from this experience is beyond physical, and has left me with hours of fun. And that is that I had decided to celebrate ridiculous celebrity birthdays with appropriate shots. We did it all summer. It was glorious. Now it is back. But today's is Alicia Keys. Kinda lame. Tomorrow's a new day, though!

1 comment:

Bashmaster General said...

Danny Glover Bash . . . so awesome, I'm rather envious. Sorta similar, but every year I go to a Neil Diamond party that's populated by deeply obsessed freaks and all you can eat crab, truly brilliant to behold. Also, I love your bar boozing suggestion of straw count for Morgans consumed. Glorious!