Monday, February 5, 2007

Info Magazine Launch Party, Bon Voyage Joe & Happy 85th birthday - Parties to Remember (or at least try to).

This weekend, I had the joy of attending my great uncle Erv's 85th birthday party. Time with my family is always interesting. And yes - I missed Shaq and the Heat playing the Bucks (the only time, other than possible playoff games, that I would've had the opportunity to see my Shaquille this season) for such an event.

I also had the joy of attending the Info Magazine Launch party. This was a little bit more interesting than the family party... Although it lacked 82-year old men drinking gin on the rocks and inadvertantly hitting on family members, it had its own heinosity.

We should've known it was trouble, Nicole, Carrie and I. I mean, Nicole's friend "Dusty Rhodes" was bartending, so we got free drinks all night. So we had that going for us, which was nice.

My main purpose there was supposed to be to network. Well, to network while having fun. Nicole had some photographers to introduce me to, and she also wanted to introduce me to the man who is in charge of Info Magazine. I met a couple photographers, yes. As far as the guy in charge of Info Magazine... I feel like I may or may not have rubbed his head at some point. Sweet. I'm sure that to him, that was just what the doctor ordered.

I also met a couple other people on my own... One was Kevin, a man who has a jewelery line inspired by an African tribe... I talked to this guy a lot, because we have similar ideas about music and life, and because apparently these days I am interested in anything remotely related to Africa. I don't know if it is because of my school project, or if it is because of the boy, but whatever. Africa is interesting to me, so we spent a lot of time talking about that.

The other guy... Well, I don't really remember how I got to talking to him. I do remember, though, that at some point in the night, I tried to give him a website, and in my infinite drunken wisdom, decided the best way to do this would be to text him the link. We'll see why that was wise in a few moments (and actually, it remains to be seen whether or not that should be sarcastic!).

I also ran into a few people at this shindig. One would be Andrew. He is the best friend of my Exboyfriend, Eric, who I haven't talked to in months. That was interesting. He called me out on missing Eric. But I don't think I miss the current Eric. Having not talked to him in months, I honestly don't know who the current Eric is. I do kinda miss the 8 years ago Eric at times, though, which I think is normal.
The other people that I ran in to were affiliated with that last runway show I did - the one that inspired "Drunk Diary 12-9" or whatever that day was. Jason DiCarlo, and Megan *something*... The people who were IN CHARGE of the show. Coincidently, they are also in charge of the next show I am doing, which is on March 1st. I am pretty excited for that one. Hopefully, I will be able to pull my life together for it!

What was special about running into them was that I saw them at first, when we first got there, and I was still completely sober... I did have a margarita at home while waiting for Nicole and Carrie to come and get me, and I did have a couple drinks of whatever that purple-ish burgundy stuff was in that water bottle. But still - sober.
Later, however, when I ran into Jason again, I was not so much sober. I wasn't hammered, but it probably seemed like it. Nicole was walking around with me and dumped about half of her dirty vodka martini on me, which made me smell like.... dirty vodka martini. So the next time I saw Jason, that was what was goin' down. But perhaps he was actually less sober than it would've seemed, because he did talk about sucking the drink out of my shirt if he got thirsty - haha. Ah well. Here's a picture of Carrie, this girl Cherie (or Sherry or Shari, or something) from the NEWD line, me with spillage evident, and Nicole. This one is from Cherie's (or however you spell it) camera. I have one from mine, too, but it's almost exactly the same, except Nicole looks more normal in it... I haven't uploaded it to my computer yet, though.

That spill sure is sexy, isn't it? Haha. What I want to know is, why do they put drinks that have the most alcohol in the most treacherous glasses? I mean, here is a drink that is often 100% alcohol, and they put them in receptacles that have the most surface area for spillage. That is why I rarely drink martini's, especially if there is moving around taking place. Well, that, and because they are expensive. And, well, (I guess the real reason), because I am terrible at sipping. So I don't keep in mind that this is almost entirely alcohol that I am drinking, and I drink it as though it is chocolate milk or something. Bru-tal.
Anyway, so I talked to people and did my thing, and then we all left. Got home, took a shower, ate a tv dinner pizza thing (yummy) and went to bed.

When I woke up, I had a text from the guy who I texted the link to. For the record, the link was www.tialynlingerie.com. The first text I received from this man was a picture text of the front page of the website, which is a picture of me. Let's first mention that the text was sent at about 8:20 am. Who needs to wake up to see a picture of themself at 8:20 am after you were up until 3ish drinking the night before? Not me.

Throughout the course of the day, I received several more texts from him, about meeting to talk this week, or looking at his company's website, and so on. I kept ignoring them, because I was still kinda annoyed that I paid for an image text that was a picture of myself. A picture that I have the high-res file of, as well as prints, that I could look at every day if I wanted. Don't get me wrong... Tia and Lawrence, you know that I love the picture. One of my faves. But I just wasn't trying to be woken up by its arrival in my text inbox.

Yesterday, I got a few more texts from him, including (but not limited to) another picture of myself from Tia's website. And then, while I was napping, he called and left a message. Says his clients include (but are not limited to - my words, not his), Harley Davidson, Boston Store, Kohl's, La Perla, etc, and if I would meet with him and his two partners (one male, one female), we could talk about me doing print and web work for these clients. Sweetness. Hopefully he is not full of shit. Also, I hope that when he is saying La Perla, he either means the restaurant, and that I will get free food and margaritas (yay rainbow!) for life, or he means the lingerie company, and I will be paid immensely well. Either way, as I mentioned, for obvious reasons, I am not yet sure if I am happy or sad that I inadverntantly gave this guy my number. I guess we'll see.

Oh boy. Right in the midst of writing this, I received pictures from Nicole from the party. Without further ado...

I don't know why they are all pixelated and crazy, but that's me with Nicole and Carrie.

That would be the same shot as the first one in this post, but from Nicole's camera. Looks like the best one of all!

There's me with Kevin, the tribal jewelery designer dude.

And, of course, there's me licking Carrie. Why do I always do that? My hair looks pretty cute, though! Haha.
Anyway, so that was that night. Since we're on the topic of parties, I figure I should do some justice to Joe's going away party at Mantra.
Joe. How do I explain Joe? I met him through my friend LP, who teaches at the school as me. She told him before we met that I was a model, and that is basically how my old nickname from HS came back (long story). Anyway, she kept telling me that every time after she told him about me that they all went out, that he would ask if I was going to be there, too. Something about him being in love with me before we met or something. It was silly.
Anyway, we finally met, and danced the night away at Can's. I also danced with AY a lot, but I don't remember such things. This night was ridiculous. Anyway, we ended up going back to Joe's, and he made us French toast. It was disgusting. So, we decided we were going to get gyro's (Natalie, LP, and I), so we went outside to call a cab. It was after 3am. Anyway, when LP got on the phone, she gave the operator for the cab company the intersection we were at, because she did not know Joe's address. Apparently, an intersection is not sufficient. So she gave her the only other address we could see.
To this, the cab operator responded "Ma'am, are you aware that you are at the library?"
Oh man, that was ridiculous. So the three of us went back up to Joe's and slept on the futon and couch.
Next time we hung out, I wanted to make sure that I was avoiding the not-entirely-cooked French toast, so I made sure we went to Mykonos for some gyros. We came back, and I was sitting cross-legged on Joe's floor when he kissed me on the forehead and told me that he loved me. This was terrifying to me. Time to GFO!
Next day, I told LP, and she thought it was hilarious. "I'm pretty sure that Joe has never said 'I love you' to anyone before."
So, we joked about it for a few months. Then, when summer finally rolled around, we laid this info on Joe. He was quite amused. Didn't remember it at all. So now, every time we see eachother, there is the obligatory forehead kiss and profession of love. So funny!
Anyway, Joe recently moved to California, but before he did, he had a going away party. He used to own a bar called Rhino in LaCrosse, so he had the guy who normally dj'ed there come to Mantra in Milwaukee for the special event.
That was heinosity. I was doing shots like it was my job (which, when I am with LP and Natalie and the like, it kind of is).
Dancing the night away. Saw people from Racine that I hadn't seen in a long time, a which is always interesting.
Got Danielle dancing with one of the many people who I joke about as her "future husband." I'm always trying to set that poor girl up with someone. Not seriously, but in talk. Here they are. We decided on this pairing because they are both super nice people, and both are pretty short. Awww.


Anyway, in my post about Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite dj'ing at Can's, I said I would tell another story about phone numbers and Mexican men.
One of LP's best friends from college, Sarah, married a man this Fall from Mexico. They were dating a few years, and were basically getting married so that he could have citizenship. If things worked out, then they would get married for real at a later date. Apparently things didn't work out, and they broke up shortly after the wedding. They are still friends, and still share a 1 bedroom apartment.
At this particular event, Big R (Sarah's husband from Mexico) was apparently a dance machine, and I was his partner. He was dancing with me the whole night. I figured that Sarah must be ok with it, and was unaware of the breakup at that time.
It was another one of those cases where I was like "Oh, it's so and so's boyfriend, and we are all friends, so it's cool to dance together." Happens all the time.
Everything was fine, and there was a bit of drama (entirely unrelated to everyone who was at Joe's party except for me) at the end of the night. Life went on as normal.
Had to make sure that I got a picture with Joe, reenacting the forehead kiss before we left and he moved away. That was nice. See below.

The drama worked itself out the next day. Life went on. But then, weeks later, I was going to send a friend a text when I noticed a foreign (literally) name in my address book. Big R! Brut brut!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are just a man magnet.